Melbourne East ranks top across the nation as Australia’s most
valuable region for human capital.
Thirty-three per cent of the more than 1 million residents have graduate or post-graduate qualifications. The regional population has higher than average weekly incomes and tertiary education attainment rates – Melbourne East is a sophisticated and innovative community with a highly skilled workforce to support businesses in the region. This is reflected in the significant number of major national and international companies headquartered in the region.
Cutting edge technology is at the forefront of the Melbourne East economy with
a high number of residents working in science technology research and development.
Some 9,900 people work across sectors such as Computer Systems Design & Related Services and Professional, Scientific, Computer & Electronic Equipment Manufacturing, generating $5.2 billion in sales (including $2.2 billion in exports).
Melbourne East is ranked in the top three Australian regions for its technological readiness and has extensive broadband coverage.
Research and development is clustered in Melbourne East with institutions and facilities that can support innovation
in key sectors, including health and advanced manufacturing.
Businesses that are attracted to Melbourne East
- Medical research, biotechnology or biomedical engineering
- Innovators of health related products
- Services seeking to collaborate with existing research and development providers
- Seeking access to a highly skilled and qualified workforce
- Requiring access to research facilities and associated research programs
- Computer system design, scientific research, testing and/or analysis facilities
Professional service providers
- Seeking to access an existing and established professional services workforce
- Services coming into the region to meet existing demand
- Access to export markets through established operations in the region